CCONS-COLUMBUS CHAPTER ONCOLOGY NURSING SOCIETY
The Columbus Chapter is celebrating 30 years of a history rich in leadership, mentorship and education. We have blossomed from the vision of 12 extraordinary women into a chapter, of amazing oncology nurses who advocate for our patients, our colleagues and our chapter. With patients at the very core of our being, we continue to grow and develop to be the best we can be.
To advance excellence in oncology nursing and quality cancer care
To lead the transformation of cancer care.
ONS CORE VALUES
Innovation, Excellence and Advocacy
ONS and its members face every endeavor with knowledge and learning. We strive to apply our broad perspectives consistently while leading the transformation of cancer care.
We strive to foster excellence in oncology nursing and quality patient care. We are committed to nothing less than excellence in our organization and the care of patients.
We, as an organization and as individuals, advocate on behalf of people with cancer to ensure their quality of life and access to exemplary care throughout the continuum of life. We advocate on behalf of patients and the profession to ensure respect and recognition, access to education, safe working environments, and fair reimbursement. We also serve as advocates for public health policy.
In 1981, Ruth Bope Dangel, Carolyn Battles and Beverly Nicholson met at Ruth’s home to discuss the possibility of forming a group of oncology nurses.
In February of 1982, an organizational meeting was held at the Columbus Cancer Clinic on Thomas Lane and the petition for a charter was made.
In March of 1982, CCONS held its first program.
- 1983 Published the first newsletter: ONCO (Oncology Nurses of Central Ohio)
- 1984 Submitted application to become an official ONS Chapter
- 1985 Established scholarship fund and nursing outreach program to provide education to rural hospitals in Ohio
- 1990 Held first annual all-day spring conference, “Nursing in the Nineties, From Surviving to Thriving”
- 1993 Received Newsletter Award (Best Design)
- 1993 Received Cetus Chapter Excellence Award
- 1993 First Outreach Ohio Mentorship Day
- 1995 Received ONS Public Education Grant
- 2000 Received ONS grant for: Improving End of Life Care at the Community Level
- 2001-2003 Received ONS Lung Cancer Education Grant
- 2005 Received the Chapter Newsletter Award for medium chapter
- 2004 Received Chapter Excellence Award
- 2006-Initiation of the Annual Breast Health Fashion Show
- 2008 Certificate of Recognition to CCONS “Keeping the Chapter Leadership Sailing Smoothly Towards the ONS Mothership” (Outreach Ohio Funding)
- 2009 Outstanding Chapter Recruitment and Retention Award to CCONS Membership Committee
- 2011 Received ONS Chapter Excellence Award
- 2011 Received the (LifeCare Alliance) Columbus Cancer Clinic Home Care Services Spirit Award
- 2012 Pearl Moore Making a Difference Team Achievement Award presented to Community Outreach Committee/ONS (37th Annual Congress)
- 2012 ONS Newsletter Award for Large Chapter
- 2013 Received ONS/Lilly grant for Outreach Ohio conference
- 2014 Voting Award for an extra-large chapter
In loving memory of
Elizabeth Olson (1936-2006)
Phyllis Kaldor (1953-2013)